Why have breast reduction surgery?
- To have smaller, firmer breasts consider breast reduction surgery
- To alleviate back, neck, and shoulder pain consider breast reduction surgery
- To eliminate shoulder grooving consider breast reduction surgery
- To alleviate irritated skin from beneath your breasts consider breast reduction surgery
- To exercise without the weight of your breasts making it uncomfortable consider breast reduction surgery
- To engage in normal physical activity consider breast reduction surgery.
- To be able to better fit into bras consider breast reduction surgery.
You will discuss all your individual pre and post-operative needs with our team of nurses during your comprehensive pre-operative appointment.
Breast Reduction Procedure
The specific method for your breast reduction is determined by your anatomy and your goals. During the procedure, Dr. Sullivan removes the excess breast tissue, fat, and skin. Then she shifts your nipple and areola to a higher position. The areola is often reduced in size. The nipples and areolas usually remain attached to their underlying tissue to preserve your ability to breast feed, although it’s not guaranteed.
At Sullivan Centre, we always put safety first. Our ambulatory surgical center has been licensed by the State of Ohio and accredited by the Accreditation Association for Ambulatory Health Care (AAAHC). We have achieved a near zero percent infection rate. Furthermore, we only use board certified anesthesiologists for all of our operations.
The breast reduction procedure may be performed at Sullivan Centre and will take approximately two to four hours under general anesthesia. The breast reduction surgery is performed on an outpatient basis; therefore you can recover in the comfort of your own home. Most women can return to work in one week and can resume normal exercise in a few weeks.
All individual pre and post-operative needs will be discussed with our nursing team during your comprehensive pre-operative appointment.
Breast Reduction Post-Op Results
Following surgery, gauze dressings will be placed on your breasts under a surgical bra that you will wear for a few weeks. Within the first week after surgery, you will be able to move about more comfortably. After a few months you can expect:
- Following breast reduction surgery your breasts will settle into a more natural shape
- Following breast reduction surgery you will notice relief from neck, back and shoulder pain
- Following breast reduction surgery you will be more comfortable when exercising
- Following breast reduction surgery you will feel more confident in clothing
- Following breast reduction surgery bras will fit better
You can expect to maintain your new breast size unless you become pregnant or lose/gain a significant amount of weight.
The Sullivan Difference
We know that you want to look and feel your best. Our goal is to understand your motivation and priorities and then educate, advise, and guide you to the optimal solution. Our personalized approach begins with a consultation with Dr. Christine Sullivan, a renowned plastic surgeon with more than 30 years of experience, who takes the time to listen to your concerns and works with you to determine the best approach to get the results you desire. From initial consultation through recovery, our staff is always ready to answer your questions and address your concerns.